Sunday, February 13, 2005

What is research?

I agree with Dr. Dickson that research projects are extremely intimidating. Especially in the beginning stages of development. What I try to do is find a topic that I'm comfortable writing about, and proceed slowly and methodically from that point. I start small and work outward(induction). I ask myself the following questions: Is this an engaging topic? Do I care about the subject matter? After all, if I don't care about what it is I'm writing about, why will my audience? After those questions are answered, I'll ask myself: Mike (that's me), what is your position on X (X being the thesis of my research)? There's my real test. If I don't have a strong opinion about the proposed topic, my research will suffer. I approach my research paper as if I'm engaging in a conversation with a true expert, and I am defending my position on situation X. Not that the research paper necessarily reflects this notion directly, in tone or other conversational aspects, but in my head, I'm continuing the conversation by challenging the opinions and facts I'm presenting. By analyzing all sides of the subject of my research, and testing myself along the way, I gain a certain level of familiarity with the subject matter. That way when I am presenting my research project, whether in written or oral mediums, I am less likely to back myself into a literal corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home